Lucie Loves… Food // #Triedandtasted | Homemade creamy chicken, mushroom & asparagus pie
In-keeping with my new years resolution I’m trying to get more hands-on in the kitchen and do more home-cooking. I recently whipped up this tasty pie for JMG and myself. But it would serve around 4 people.
It’s really simple to make and it uses - some might call it cheating, I call it a shortcut - a can of Heinz chicken soup as the base for the sauce.
How you make it
- Pre-heat your oven to around 180’
- Heat some olive or sunflower oil in a pan until sizzling
- Dice a couple of chicken breasts
- Chop up an onion and fry with the pieces of diced chicken for a few minutes
- Wash and slice a handful of mushrooms and asparagus
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus to the cooked chicken and now softened onions
- Pour in some white wine and simmer
- After a couple of minutes, as the mushrooms begin to brown, add the can of soup and stir
- Pop a lid or a plate over the pan and simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes - stir occasionally to make sure you don’t burn it
- Pour the creamy chicken contents into a pie dish - I got mine for Christmas from JMG’s mum and dad, it’s actually a Rayware Mason Cash Enamour Stoneware 24cm casserole dish
- Get out your Jus-roll puff pastry - or whatever pastry tickles your fancy. If you prefer to make it from scratch then do - clever you!
- Roll out the pastry and lay it over the pie dish - I only used half a pac, but wrapped up the rest and put it into the freezer for another time
- Insert your pie bird - if you’ve got one - I got mine for Christmas.
- Cut pretty leaf shapes or letters using the remaining pastry scraps and decorate your pie
- Brush with milk or a bit of egg yolk
- Pop into the oven and wait until it’s nicely puffed
- After about 15-20 minutes and golden in colour, remove from the oven
- Serve with your choice sides - mash and veg in our case
- Drink the rest of bottle of white wine
Photography © Lucie Kerley