Lucie Loves... Fashion // TBT My summer holiday wardrobe essentials
I’m not a girl that does ‘travelling light’ very well. I fretted about how to condense my mega-wardrobe into a rucksack to keep me well-clothed for 14 nights.
I decided to work my outfits around a a few basics: plain white vests, denim cut-offs, maxi dresses, printed trousers, studded gladiator sandals, a pair of converse, an abundance of accessories and a pick and mix selection of swimwear.
From top to bottom, here’s how I wore them:
- My Topshop statement tee… This one says 'Dork’ - read into that what you will. I wore this for a a coach trip around Naxos. Because it was white cotton and a little oversized, it meant that I didn’t overheat when trekking around the beautiful little villages. I wore it with a pair of tortoise shell sunglasses and my Reiss Scarlett khaki green trilby.
- Overcoming my fear of 'the bather…’ Since wearing a full-on bathing costume to some horrendous swimming lessons at high school, I’d never dared wear one since. Until this summer that is… I spotted this beautiful aubergine-coloured halterneck style piece in Topshop on Oxford Street and found that I actually felt ok in it. Being a halterneck, it didn’t unflatteringly squash your boobs down, like you’d get with one of those unsexy Speedo-highschool-swmming-lesson-style costumes. Sorry Speedo. I wore mine underneath my mum’s old DKNY denim cut-off shorts with a pair of battered white Converse.
- Eastern shores… My mum picked up this beautiful French Connection oriental print silk skirt in a charity shop in Warrington and bought it for me. It’s very pretty and needs nothing more than a simple white vest top to go with it. But, I thought I’d balance out the bottom half of the outfit by wearing an elaborate Aldo necklace. This necklace is quite possibly the best £30 I’ve ever spent on a piece of jewellery.
- There’s something I just love about wearing silk… This Reclaim to Wear dress, with it’s backless design and pretty floral print makes you feel pretty elegant. Even if your hair’s a mess because you didn’t pack a hairdryer and haven’t been able to style it properly in over a week.
- Suits your sir… This dark floral two-piece number from Topshop was perfect for the warm Greek nights. I wore the cropped top and midi skirt with my Farah multi stud sandals, chunky spiked Primark cuff bracelets and my Aldo necklace.
- Matching my outfit with the sunset… I bought this & Other Stories pale blue sleeveless wrap dress for a friend’s wedding and thought it deserved another outing in Greece. It’s lightweight, doesn’t crease easily and is simple enough to wear out to dinner without feeling like overkill. I wore it with a little side plait, a chunky Forever21 chainmail necklace and a gold floral cuff. I remember us stepping out of our hotel room as the sky turned an almost identical shade of blue. It was quite something. Greek sunsets are the best.
- Being an utter beach bum… I was thrilled with my Charlotte Taylor Taj print bikini from YBDfashion. It was really well made and fitted great. I wore it to the beach with my Reiss trilby and Primark beaded sandals.
- Watching the day fade to night… sitting with JMG, wearing Draw in Light, at Sunset Beach on the tiny island of Antiparos was one of those moments I’ll treasure forever. Utterly romantic.
- Sipping on cocktails looking out over the sea… wearing my mulberry print silk Zara trousers and white Topshop vest. So comfortable, I could have been wearing pyjamas.
- Lapping up the surf… wearing my Topshop Bluebell bikini and ancient cut-off Levis, whilst on a boat tour around the island of Naxos.
To check out more photos and updates from this summer’s Greek Island Hopping holiday check out the rest of the posts here.
Photography © jmgcreative + Lucie Kerley